Located in southwest Johannesburg, directly on the busy interchange between the E3 Eastern bypass and Marlboro Drive.
The site is situated on the corner of the N3 Highway and Marlboro Drive. It is approximately 6.2km east of Sandton CBD and 20 km northeast of Johannesburg CBD. It is located near the well-known township of Alexandra to the south and 6.5km east of the affluent residential area of Sandown.
The site is located close to the train station and major road interchange, whilst a large affordable housing development borders the subject area’s northern edge. These factors contribute to the site's potential to be transformed for the site to be transformed into a Transit Oriented Development (TOD). The expectation is that a TOD would link public transport hubs with affordable housing developments with access to adequate social facilities and a public open space system.
Approx. site area:
- Approximately 14 hectares
- The site is within the Greater Alexandra Development Area which has a population of more than 231 900 people and 82 840 households. The average household size is 2.8 (3 people/dwelling unit).
Priority areas & main expectations:
Proposals should seek to reinvent the area into a green and thriving TOD, specifically considering the following priorities and focus areas:
Improve the area’s connections to public transport (Gautrain station).
Develop social and affordable housing.
Provide social and community facilities.
Enhance the public open space system.
Implement climate change and adaptation measures that mitigate the impacts of flooding and polluted water, and improve water security.
I'm interested! What next?
- Take a look at the Site Form and access the Dataroom to learn more about the site. Both are available under the 'Documentation' tab on this page.
- Form your team. Feel free to fill out the Team Up Form to connect with new teammates and bring more diversity & expertise to your team.
- Register your team by clicking the button at the top of the page.