Winning project: Smart City Labs - Farm + Table
Team representative: Smart City Labs
Urban Designer(s): United Cites North America
Other(s): Urban Innovations Inc.
A concept based on the most fundamental of human interactions - the growing and sharing of food.
Farm + Table have imagined a community gathering and collaboration place that addresses climate change on a hyperlocal level by growing healthy food in vertical farms to foster community wellness. The proposal creates new public spaces for play and community gatherings and activates a neglected service alley as an active space for bicycle mobility and repair. The proposed Farm + Table concept outlined here will be built and managed by the local community.
Key Components and solutions
- Farm + Table will introduce urban nature on site by transforming a car park into an underground urban farm and providing hanging fruit and vegetable farms.
- The project will integrate renewables and digital technologies on site via a rooftop solar farm and digital garden (PlayLab).
- Farm + Table will promote active mobility on site through bicycle projects and workshops that provide affordable cycle repair for the local community.
- The project will create new public spaces for playing, social activities & community gatherings to encourage social connection, including weekly dinners held within the new community space reclaimed from a service alley.
Presentation of the site
Expected Land Use:
The proposals should include holistic solutions for the entire site, developing a mixed project in accordance with the existing regulations and permitted modifications. Teams should aim to:
- For the Public space, create a green and thriving public realm, also considering temporary interventions to develop a more inclusive, safe and connected street.
- For the Parking, reimagine and repurpose the parking into a space that hosts new sustainable services for the neighbourhood, designing with the flexibility to enable use changes.
- For the Commercial unit include new uses that promote circular economy, innovation, and community inclusion, considering strategies that foster behavioural change & collaboration.
Implementation and Budget
Ingka Centres will lead the implementation of the winning project in collaboration of the winning team and can invest up to 1.25M USD (for the entire site, incl. the three spaces). For the commercial unit/s and parking, Ingka Centres will negotiate the occupation contract/s with the winning team. Ingka Centres may decide to phase the implementation.