Alfama is one of Lisbon's oldest and most historic neighbourhoods, spanning the hillside between São Jorge Castle and the Tagus riverfront.
While Mouraria faces challenges with impoverished migrant settlements, Alfama contends with increasing gentrification that continues to displace vulnerable and elderly residents. The core mission of HUB-IN Lisboa - Colina do Castelo is to foster an entrepreneurial, innovative, and creative local community while preserving the area and cultural identity.
By participating in this competition, HUB-IN Colina do Castelo aims to engage international students in co-creating solutions for the “systemic” transformation of Alfama. The goal is to develop a resilient, climate-change-ready neighbourhood with a focus on quality of life, local communities, and cultural value within a 15-minute neighbourhood concept.
Alfama is one of Lisbon’s oldest neighbourhoods. It boasts a rich history and traditional charm that attracts many tourists. The name 'Alfama' is believed to originate from the Arabic “al-hamma” meaning "fountain of warm, good waters”. Archaeological findings highlight the neighbourhood’s development in Roman times and the influences of traditional Arab neighbourhoods.
Nowadays, Alfama is renowned for its restaurants, Fado Houses, and “Popular Saints” festivities”. Spanning the hillside between São Jorge Castle and the Tagus riverfront, Alfama’s distinctive sloping and narrow streets, as well as the demand for tourist accommodation and investment housing, have led to many residents being forced to leave the area.Discover Alfama through Hub-In's Geotool for Lisbon
Key Challenges for Alfama Neighbourhood Regeneration
HUB-IN Lisboa - Colina do Castelo developed an extensive participatory engagement process that led to a summary of the main challenges presented in the Colina do Castelo neighbourhoods. These are applicable to Alfama and include:
- Safeguarding and restoring immovable cultural heritage
- Safeguarding the area’s Intangible Cultural Heritage
- Enhancing the area’s economic and creative fabric
- Improving environmental sustainability and sustainable tourism
- Retaining the resident population
- Adapting outdoor spaces and finding multiple uses.
Specific objectives for this competition
In alignment with the C40 Students Competition 2024, HUB-IN Colina do Castelo seeks innovative proposals to transform Alfama into a climate-neutral neighbourhood, whilst incorporating the “15-Minute City” and place-making. The initiative encourages experimentation through its “Sprout Tank” program, which serves as a laboratory for testing creative and heritage-led solutions to create climate-neutral and circular economy schemes. “Sprout Tank” will connect intervention needs in Colina do Castelo with innovative solutions, utilising spaces for experimentation and promoting technological and social initiatives in the territory.
I'm interested! What next?
- Take a look at the Site Form and access the Dataroom to learn more about the site. Both are available under the 'Documentation' tab on this page.
- Form your team. Feel free to fill out the Team Up Form to connect with new teammates and bring more diversity & expertise to your team.
- Register your team by clicking the button at the top of the page.